Always outnumbered. Generally overdresssed.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

DDB VS VW WTF?

So when I was a kid DDB London used to make these incredible adverts for VW, whose wit and humour made me think that advertising might be an industry where intelligent people used creativity to communicate complex ideas as simply as possible.
These days DDB London make ads like this for VW.


Which makes me think advertising is an industry where about a hundred deeply uncreative people sit in an airless meeting room insisting that they know what should be in their ad (which after all, they're paying for right?), overwhelm the account handlers with a combination of weight of numbers and sheer obdurate bloody-mindedness so that Jeremy Craigen has to wave through a lame headline ad with a look of mingled regret and resignation that seems to speak volumes about the state of our industry as a whole, but might just as well be his hangover.

These cuts are fun aren't they? I think we'll see riots on the streets of Glasgow and Leeds and everywhere else where the electorate has been in the pay of the government for the last 13 years, as soon as they realise they're not going to be able to afford the new iPhone for Christmas.

1 comment:

Pete said...

I remember doing VW ads in the D&AD workshops. I also remember being made to do third rate car ads once I got into the business. Even so, it's sad to see even VW doing such me-too work these days.

www.ideaswise.com